How to apply
- Who can apply: Undergraduate students, sophomores and juniors preferred (only US citizens or Permanent Residents)
- Home institutions: Associate or undergraduate degree granting institutions in the US.
- Majors: Chemical, Biochemical or Biomedical Engineering; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Biophysics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related.
- G.P.A.: 2.8 or above
DATES and DEADLINES
- Receiving applications: Jan 10 to March 8, 2013
- DEADLINE: All the components of the application package should be uploaded in the on-line system or received via mail (only applicable to the Official Transcript and/or Letters of Recommendation) by the
DEADLINE: March 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST
- Award Notification: April 18, 2013
- 8-week program: June 17 to August 9, 2013 (With the research mentor approval, internships can be extended up to 2 additional weeks).
A complete application package must include the following items:
1. On-line Application Form. You will need the following information to complete the form: Cumulative GPA; Last GPA; Science and Math GPA; number of Science, Engineering and Math classes taken until now; the list of the classes you are enrolled in for Spring; Researcher/Mentor you prefer to work with (Please review the Potential Summer Mentors and identify three that you feel best
match your interests).
2. Resume. A few sample categories that you may want to include: Education, Professional Experience, Lab/Technical Skills, Honors/Awards/Scholarships, Extracurricular Activities (academic, community, volunteering, etc).3. Personal Statement
The personal statement helps us to review your interests and to determine your motivation for applying for the internship. It should be clear and easy to read. We should be able to view a synopsis of your background (highlight relevant career, academic and civic accomplishments) and a summary of where you wish to be in the future. For more details see UC Davis: Personal Statement.
Two letters of recommendation are requested. Potential recommenders are: teachers, professors, academic or research advisors, employers, etc. The candidate will complete the information of the person writing a letter of recommendation in the online application system. The recommender will automatically receive an email notification with instructions to upload the letter in the online application system. Please contact your recommender in advance (don't let it be a surprise!). For tips on letters of recommendation see http://iccweb.ucdavis.edu/students/career/letterofrec.htm
5. A current Unofficial Transcript (to be up-loaded on-line) and an Official Undergraduate Transcript (to be mailed to us). If you have transcripts from more than one college, create only one
document containing all of them. You can copy and paste on a Word
document or create a pdf document with all the unofficial transcripts.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS
ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF ALL DOCUMENTS (except transcripts) IS REQUIRED
1) OPEN: Jan 10 to March 8, 2013. To apply click HERE.
2) Upload your Resume, Personal Statement and Unofficial Transcript - Save the documents in separate Word or PDF files and upload them in the system. ATTENTION: Other formats will NOT be processed, even if you are able to upload them. Please clearly name the documents e.g. John Smith - Personal Statement. Files that do not clearly identify the applicant will NOT be read.
3) Letters of recommendation. Provide the name and contact information of your recommenders when requested by the system. The system will automatically contact the person and he/she will upload the document. You will be notified when the letter has been uploaded.
4) Request an official transcripts from your college/s to be sent to the below address. Transcripts must be received by the deadline.
CBST 2013 Summer Internship Program
Attention:Ana M. Corbacho, PhDNSF Center for Biophotonics Science & Technology
University of California, Davis
2700 Stockton Blvd., Suite 1400
Sacramento, CA 95817
TEL: (916) 734-8600 FAX: (916) 734-0796
To ensure that you receive all the information that you need, please address all communications and questions by e-mail to email@example.com
What previous interns said about the program: